LAPAROSCOPIC NEPHRECTOMY AND PYELOPLASTY IN DELHILaparoscopy is an advanced technique of doing a surgical procedure by making tiny holes in the skin that allows it to heal early and the patients recover faster than the conventional open surgeries. Nephrectomy is the medical term for removal of the kidney which is done in cases of severe kidney diseases such as kidney cancer, non-functional kidney or trauma or internal bleeding in the kidney etc. Pyeloplasty is the surgery of the ureter, it is a tube that connects the kidney to the bladder. The ureter takes urine from the kidney and stores it in the bladder until it is emptied via urination. In pyeloplasty, a narrowed ureter area is removed and two healthy ends are tied so that the ureter functions well. Both these surgeries are done laparoscopically to allow faster healing to the patient.
ADVANTAGES OF LAPAROSCOPIC NEPHRECTOMY/PYELOPLASTY
- Short hospital stay
- Early and faster recovery
- Minimal Scarring
- Less blood loss as compared to the open surgeries
- Minimal trauma to the other internal organs
PROCEDURE OF LAPAROSCOPIC NEPHRECTOMYGeneral anaesthesia is given to the patient. After that small holes are made near the waist area through which the laparoscope and other instruments are passed. The kidney and other internal organs can be seen via a camera that is passed with the instruments inside. The kidney is then resected and taken out through one of the large holes. The patient is then sent to the recovery room after dressing the wound.
LAPAROSCOPIC PYELOPLASTY PROCEDUREAfter giving anaesthesia to the patient, small holes are made near the waist area in order to access the ureter. The laparoscope is then passed through the holes along with other instruments. The narrowed part of the ureter is cut and taken out with the help of a laparoscope after which, two loose ends are then carefully sutured to allow normal passage of urine from the kidney to the ureter. The incision is then closed and the patient is sent to the recovery room.
THINGS TO CONSIDER POST NEPHRECTOMY Or PYELOPLASTY SURGERY
- 2 to 4 days of hospitalization is required.
- You must not drive for about 48 hours post-surgery.
- No heavy lifting or any strenuous sports activity should be done for at least 2 weeks post-surgery.
- It is normal to have a burning sensation while passing urine for a few days post-surgery.
- Some streaks of blood in the urine are normal for a few days, if you are concerned about it then we are just a call away.