RADICAL PROSTATECTOMY IN DELHI / PROSTATE GLAND REMOVAL IN DELHIProstate Cancer is can be quite debilitating if not treated well in time. The best prostate cancer treatment is the removal of the prostate gland. Radical Prostatectomy is the removal of the prostate gland for prostate cancer treatmet. To save the patient from any complications of prostate cancer, radical prostatectomy is performed as soon as the cancer is diagnosed. The prostate gland or the prostate is an organ of the male reproductive system. It is about the size of a walnut that is present near the bladder. This tiny gland produces fluid that is present in the semen that keeps the sperms alive and healthy. This is why the prostate gland is a very important gland, especially in a male’s reproductive years.
TESTS REQUIRED BEFORE PROSTATE REMOVAL SURGERY
- PSA - The Prostate Serum Antigen or PSA Level is tested, it is a blood test.
- Biopsy reports are examined to confirm prostate cancer.
- All diagnostic imaging studies are performed before the surgery to have a clear look at prostate cancer.
PROCEDURE OF RADICAL PROSTATECTOMYFor the removal of the prostate gland, the patient is taken to the operating room after getting all the tests done. General anaesthesia is given to the patient to make the surgery comfortable and painless. After that, a cut is made below the belly button and the prostate gland is removed. In most cases, part of the ureter, seminal vesicles and sometimes some pelvic lymph nodes are also removed to make sure that cancer doesn’t spread further. The lymph nodes are then sent to the lab to examine if cancer has spread to other organs or not.
THINGS TO CONSIDER
- About three days of hospitalization is required for radical prostatectomy surgery.
- The patient should come for the follow-up visits if asked so that a faster recovery can occur.
- If cancer has spread to other areas then some further treatment and medications will be needed.
PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN AFTER RADICAL PROSTATECTOMY
- You must not drive for about at least 48 hours post-surgery.
- No heavy lifting or any strenuous sports activity should be done for at least 2 weeks post-surgery.
- It is normal to have a burning sensation while passing urine for a few days post-surgery.
- You can resume your work after 2-3 weeks.
- Exercises that pose stress on the abdominal area should not be done unless advised by Dr. Vineet.