URINARY INCONTINENCE TREATMENT IN DELHIUrinary incontinence is the loss of bladder control while laughing, sneezing and coughing etc. The bladder is unable to hold any amount of pressure on it and it leads to urine leakage which is a common and quite embarrassing problem for patients. The severity ranges from occasionally leaking urine when you cough or sneeze to having an urge to urinate that's so sudden and strong you don't get to a toilet in time. So, delaying the treatment will only worsen the situation, which is not suggested. It occurs in the middle-aged and elderly population in most cases, however if present in children, it is known as bed-wetting. The Urinary incontinence can be treated with lifestyle changes, medication and surgery, depending upon the severity of the condition.
TYPES OF INCONTINENCE
- Urge incontinence - There is a strong urge to urinate due to an overactive bladder. The patient feels like urinating even if there is a small amount of urine in the bladder.
- Stress incontinence - Slight stress on the abdomen makes the urine leak, such as laughing, sneezing, coughing etc. It occurs due to the poor closure of the bladder.
- Overflow incontinence - In this type of incontinence, the bladder keeps on leaking as the patient is unable to empty the bladder fully with urination. It occurs due to either the blockage of the urethra or the weak bladder muscles.
- Functional incontinence - This due to the medications or health problems such as alzheimers that make it difficult for the patient to reach the bathroom.
TREATMENT OF URINARY INCONTINENCE
- Medicine - If there is an underlying disease that is the reason for urinary incontinence then the medication is given to treat that underlying pathology.
- Bladder Training - The patient is trained about the timings of emptying the bladder. Double voiding of urine is taught to the patient.
- Lifestyle Changes - The amount of liquid intake is monitored and advised accordingly.
- Urine Absorbent Paddings - There are the urine absorbing paddings for penis along with the urine absorbing garments.
- Botox Injections - They only treat the mild cases of urinary incontinence.
- Surgical Treatments - There are many types of surgeries available for urinary incontinence treatment, such as sling surgery in which a sling is inserted near the urethra to support it. Another surgery is urethral sphincter insertion surgery, in which a sphincter is implanted in the urethra and the patient can activate urination by pressing the valve.